Thursday, November 21, 2013

My opinion of gender roles


Since we did a Prezi about gender roles in class, I thought I give my own opinion about gender roles in advertisements. When I saw the video with the advertisements, there were some awkward moments in the pictures. Most of the awkward moments came from the vulnerable positions from the females. I remember one picture of three guys and one girl with the guy holding her on the ground in a firm position. This resembles that the males have power and it leaves the ladies vulnerable. Most of these pictures I never saw before, and to see these pictures for the first time, it was kind of surprising.  

In the video, they described some of the pictures as uncomfortable to some extent. I disagree with this statement because some of the pictures look very natural and beautiful. They describe the positions with detail and they mostly talk about the females. They talked about the touching, coloring, clothing, etc. Most of the pictures show great detail, as they try to sell the product.

The last thing I found interesting is that most of the models in the pictures are fake. They take ordinary people to take the pictures and as soon as they are done with the pictures, they edit them with photo shop to make the models perfect. I really didn’t realize this until now. Now when I look at current advertisements, I’m going to look at it twice and see if it looks real or not. Overall, the advertisements seem natural to me; however a few percent of them are bizarre.

No comments:

Post a Comment